Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Achieving Brilliance with Blenders

Hi Everyone!
I'd like to share a couple of tips today on using
Blender Pens with Reinkers
and how to achieve a similar brilliance to watercoloring.

I've taken a shot of all the supplies I used to color this stamp:
The colors I use are usually chosen by whichever DSP I decide to use.  In this case, it was the new Attic Boutique from the Occasions Mini.
The core colors are Pool Party, Soft Suede, Daffodil Delight & Poppy Parade.
I've also used Island Indigo, Crumb Cake, Peach Parfait & Pear Pizzazz.

Let's color the bird...
It's important to stamp the image with Stazon ink or any other type of solvent ink.  Water-based inks will smear, including Basic Black.
I've started with Pool Party.  As with all coloring, we will want to start in the area we want the darkest and move to the lightest.

Think of a blender pen as not so much a MARKER, But a BRUSH.  Lay color down with a light touch, starting with firmer pressure and lightening up at the end, like a brush stroke.

The biggest problem most people face with blender pens is the paper piling...that's why is so important to use light brush-like strokes so that the cardstock doesn't become too saturated with the blender solution.

Next, let's add some shading...
 I've used Island Indigo and followed the same process as above...working dark to light.  The nice thing about blender pens is that you can brush off color until you reach the depth that you desire.  On the side of the image, you can examples of the brush strokes.
To complete the blue coloring on the bird, I've gone back in with Pool Party to blend the two colors together.  

A nice way to create background color is to make "dots".  Here, I've loaded the blender pen with Pool Party, again working dark to light, and simply dabbed the tip on the paper.  This creates a muted look.

Crumb Cake Shadows...
Here is the completed version.
I almost always use either Crumb Cake or Basic Grey (in a very light form) to create shadows.  Once I have the background colored in, I used the same dabbing or dotting method as the background.

You can see here that by applying these basic principles, the flowers, stems and branches display the brilliant color variations that we were going for:)


To finish the card:
I used the new Hearts Framelits to cut out the image.  Once it was cut out, I carefully colored the edges with my Soft Suede Stampin' Write Marker (no blender for this).  The roses are cut from the Attic Boutique DSP and layered.  I stamped the scroll in Soft Suede & carefully colored the borders with my Pool Party Marker.  I used the Stamp a ma jig for placement of the sentiment which if from the new Loving Thoughts set also in the Occasions Mini.  I punched a strip of DSP with the Lace Ribbon Border punch, and fed some Pool Party seam binding through the holes and tied a bow. (I scrunched up the seam binding before threading through the punched paper to make it look wrinkly).  All edges were sponged with Soft Suede, and the edges of the roses were curled up slightly with my finger tips before assembling the card.
and here it is again:
I hope you found this a little helpful:)
Thanks for stopping by!

Happy Stamping!
Hugs,

2 comments:

Christine Alward said...

This card is absolutely stunning. I love the details you added, I call this a WOW card!
I am a new Follower of your blog. If you like, check out my blog at http://stampinwithchristine.com

Christine

juniperbarn said...

Beautiful card and great tutorial! Thanks for sharing your wonderful talent!